Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Chard broke my heart

I grew a ton of chard this year, because it seemed exotic and I do love my leafy greens.

The good news is that it turned out absolutely gorgeous. Like, very, very beautiful.


The bad news is that I apparently am allergic to it. It makes my throat hurt and feel funny for the rest of the day after eating even just a tiny bit. And to add insult to injury, the hubs doesn't like it so he won't eat it either.


So now it sits in the garden, taunting and beckoning me with its verdant, vibrant leaves and rainbow stalks.

I give it away as fast as I can.

(Which is not as easy as it would be with, say, tomatoes, or strawberries, or anything people actually enjoy eating.)

But I also cave in and re-try it myself once a week or so, because I am a slow learner and because it just looks. so. good.

As do these suckers, which I'm enjoying as a lovely orange consolation prize:



Love, J

No comments:

Post a Comment