Saturday, May 12, 2012

5/12/12

So, I have a real, grown-up job.  Finally.  And it is just the best.

It dropped in my lap on March 1st, and I started it right away.  I haven't written about it because I'm still a little self-conscious of the flighty, deadbeat, one-thing-to-the-next way I've spent the last few years.  So I needed to settle in first, and make sure it stuck.

I absolutely adore the work (civil rights stuff); the people (it's a tiny non-profit, so hippies like me!); the location (downtown, I can even take the bus); and all the little extras (4 day work week, yay!)  Seriously, the Hubs set the job-satisfaction bar in our household so very high, I thought I'd never find something that was as good a fit for me as his job is for him, but this totally is.  The only drawback *was* that it was funded through a grant set to run out a year from now, and there was no guarantee for any funding beyond that.

But this week, my boss happily told me that the next grant came through, so my position is all set and funded for another year, which means I'm good to go until May of 2014, which means yay!  Having been unemployed for such an embarassingly long time, I'm less concerned than most would be at the prospect of my position eventually ending, but because this job is pretty much the shit, I'm very happy that I get to keep it for at least two whole years.

Speaking of the shit, have you READ the Hunger Games?!  Go ahead, I dare you to finish the trilogy without winding up majorly crushing on Katniss Everdeen.  What a rockstar; the anti-Bella, if you will.  It's about time adolescent girls had a ruthless, badass survivor to emulate.  I finally got out to see the movie this afternoon, and it pretty much rocked as well.

Love, J

1 comment:

  1. Haha!! Good for you Jessica on the new job! I am so happy for you! And yes I agree, the Hunger Games are pretty awesome!! I read them a while back and Brandon has even read them too!! We also loved the movie. Can't wait to hear more about what you are doing at work!!

    ReplyDelete