Despite a lot of take-out and stove avoidance in the heat, we really are eating a lot from the garden. Most of it I eat raw - kale, beans, carrots. Peas and strawberries earlier in the spring.
And if I want to cook, I just do it at 5 am while the kitchen's cool. Here's my made-up recipe for veggie quinoa:
1. 1 cup quinoa, 2+ cups water in the rice cooker. Put the rice cooker on the back porch and plug it in with an extension cord, so it won't heat up the kitchen. Cook for ~18 minutes.
2. Grate beet and sautee in a little bit of coconut oil. After a few minutes add sliced carrot and cook til soft.
3. Transfer beet/carrot mix to large mixing bowl. Add sliced zucchini and chopped parsley.
4. Boil sliced beans until barely tender (Al dente? Or does that word apply only to pasta?) Drain when done and then add the beans to the beet bowl.
5. When the quinoa's done cooking, stir it into the veggies.
I like to eat it cold.