Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fine tuning


I think we all have clothes that we like well enough, but require some adjusting in order to be "just right." In my case, it's usually hemming my pants up so they don't drag all over the ground, but sometimes other items need a little bit of a facelift as well.

I had two t-shirts, each with its own virtues. The green shirt fit like a dream, and was soft and flattering. But I never wore it because I wasn't wild about its printed design. The rose shirt had beautiful embroidered beadwork up one side, but was too short and the fit felt awkward. Both of these shirts sat in my dresser for years, always passed over because of their shortcomings, and the time had come to send them down the road.

Fortunately for me, as I held them above the Goodwill box, hesitating to throw out their good qualities along with the bad, applique inspiration struck. Now I have the best of both worlds:


I have to shorten all of my pants, because I have extremely short legs. Like, cartoonishly short. Jeans have always been tricky, because for years, I could not figure out how to shorten them and preserve the original hemline. When you straight-up hem jeans, they do not look good. I was desperate to stop cuffing them, like a kid in too-big hand-me-downs, when a little bit of fancy folding revealed a solution. And now jean shopping is a snap. All I have to do is find a pair that fit in the butt, and the rest can be adjusted!


I loved this dress when I saw it at the store, but when I got it home I realized it was a maternity dress and way too dowdy for me to feel pretty in. Solution: chopping off six inches and adding a touch of lace. It even makes my legs look longer!


This is a really fun kind of sewing, because it's sooo much faster (and requires less skill!) than constructing something from scratch.

Love, J

No comments:

Post a Comment