Monday, May 17, 2010
I've figured it out!
Or rather, I decided I couldn't figure it out as written, so I changed it up to something I can understand.
But the heel went smoothly, and it's looking (and feeling!) good.
This is my first pair of stockings ever, so I've never tried the "normal" way, but in my opinion, toe-up is the only way to go. It lets you try them on as you go, to check the shaping, ensures you don't run out of yarn before you finish the toe, and gets all the tricky heel parts out of the way early on, so you don't knit forever only to reach the heel and screw everything up. Plus the heel was easier to turn than it seems to be on other patterns, where you have to go back and pick up stitches. I'm sold.
Another lesson I've learned from this project is that plastic needles break. Kind of easily. So I'm currently working with my remaining 2 full and 2 half needles, and teaching myself to eeease up on the tension. You'd think I was uptight or something.
Assuming I don't lose interest soon, I ought to actually finish these before the weather cools off enough to wear them this fall. Shocking!