Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Squash tomato gratin


This gratin is a wintery take on summer flavors, and is terribly, terribly good. Adapted from this recipe to fit what we had on hand:

- Thawed and sliced freezer tomatoes layered with the squash instead of kale.
- Instead of bread crumbs, a sprinkle of herbed stuffing mix.
- Less cream; just enough to fill in the cracks of the gratin after it's in the dish.
- No cheese and no butter (and still, the dish wound up super rich after the squash and tomato absorbed the cream).

I only tried this because I need to find recipes that I can incorporate my freezer tomatoes into in a way that makes me forget that I don't like cooked tomatoes very much. Also, we've still got acorn squash coming out our ears. But instead of being the just-eat-it meal I'd expected, this gratin tastes like something you'd get at a fancy restaurant (think real linen napkins), and we will for sure be having it again soon. Probably I'll make it with a side of whole wheat pasta or something to balance out the richness though, because whoa.

Love, J

No comments:

Post a Comment