Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mix it up

I am a furniture-rearranger.


As I grew up, 2 or 3 times a year my mom would rearrange our living room, get us all to trade bedrooms, and just generally shake things up. It was so much a part of our household routine that I never thought there was anything unusual about it.

Then one day during my freshman year of college, when I felt like things were getting sort of stale, I set about rearranging my dorm room (which is no easy feat when your room is 70 square feet and most of the furniture is bolted to the floor). After a bit, the hubs (who was at that time 'the boyfriend') stopped by and wanted to know what the heck I was doing. And after some consideration, it dawned on me that a lot of people think of furniture placing as a one-time job. They pick where a chair goes, and from then on, that's where it goes.

I don't think I could live like that. When I get to feeling sort of blah, and the house just doesn't feel right, no matter how well I clean it, I know it's time to move things around and start anew.


I love the 'fresh start' feeling I get when I walk into a room that's been reoriented and shifted around. It makes everything feel new and clean, even when it's all the same-old stuff I've had for ages.

This time, however, I do have something new: a couch.


Thank you, Craigslist. I love it so much, even though it kicks up the old-lady factor in our decorating scheme by about a billion. I need some funky art to hang above it and bring the room's feel back to the land of the twenty-somethings.

Here's to spring and fresh starts, in any form.

Love, J

No comments:

Post a Comment