Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sweet corn

From our yard: raspberries, peas, and the sage in the shrimp & noodles

This was our dinner the other day - and it reminded me that I actually do have an original, I-came-up-with-it-on-my-own cooking tip.

Don't cook your corn. At all. Just shuck it and eat it. Well, I shuck it, cut it off the cob, then eat it, because I hate how it gets stuck in my teeth otherwise. But don't cook it.


In high school I worked on a little family farm for a few summers, and on our breaks we'd sit on the tractor wheels and snack on whatever we were harvesting. Cucumbers we rubbed on our jeans to get the dirt off, then we'd eat them whole. And corn we would shuck and eat raw. And you know what? It's SO much better that way! Not better in the way everything tastes better after you've been working outside, but actually better. Sweeter, and crunchy.

Probably I'd guess it's healthier too, since most things are better for you raw.

So there's my tip.

Love, J

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, that is really funny because I was just (90 seconds ago) making a bookmark of this recipe:

    http://www.chow.com/recipes/25636-fresh-corn-and-tomato-salad

    and one of the comments said to leave the corn raw. I was doubtful, but now I will try it that way.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete