Sunday, July 17, 2011

Purple potatoes

I pulled this from the garden yesterday morning:


See the four tiny potatoes at the bottom, next to the funny carrot? This is my first year growing potatoes, and yesterday was the first time I tried to pick some. They were so small, I knew I'd have to wait a while to pick any more.

But as I worked in the garden, the potato plants called to me. It's so fun to root around in the dirt, searching them out with my grubby little hands. I had to go back and try once more.

And I found some! Still not huge, but a respectable bounty. Enough for my lunch and an afternoon snack for the hubs, certainly.


The real pleasure in these is their beauty. Taste-wise they're okay, though I prefer the sweetness of new baby reds. But man these purple guys are gorgeous, and colored all the way through.

My first garden potato bake:

Cubed potatoes
Chives
Black pepper
Two large garlic cloves, sliced
Drizzle with olive oil
(taken from jar of preserved garlic eggplants - oh, my - more on that later)

Cover and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. (This was the perfect amount of time for the two yellow potatoes, but probably 4 minutes or so too long for the purples; they got a tiny bit mushy.)

Serve over bed of snow peas.



Yum!

Love, J

No comments:

Post a Comment